Tuesday 13 March 2012

Ponyo

Studio Ghibli film Ponyo is a lovely film, I especially like the lifestyle of Shunsuke and his mother, seeing life in a small japanese seaside town, which is caused by Ponyo (a magical fish girl creature) who wants to be human. One of the old women at the nursing home, Shunsuke's mother works at, warns Shunsuke that taking a mermaid out of the ocean will cause a tsunami. I wonder if myths like that are told today and whether there were some people in Japan who may have believed the tsunami last year was caused by something like that. It's still a heart warming story, and shows the elements of a terrible situation and working together and helping others to get through it. 

Also the animation is beautiful! The beginning credits have these fantastic illustrations, which give the impression that the story of Ponyo is very much to do with how powerful and wise the sea is. I really like the simple drawings, the ocean taking over the image and the intersecting waves of different shades of blue and green. The simple colours are very natural and humble. I'd really like to have use a similar style to make patterns of certain elements from the 'Milk Way Railroad'.

There are also a few parts in the main part of the film that I made screen shots of that caught my attention. I like how different the animation is in the main part compared to the opening shots. The main part of the film is hand painted I believe and still has a natural and humble feeling but in a much more detailed way.





























No comments:

Post a Comment